The Athens Banner-Herald and USA Today Network have selected the six softball finalists for the Athens Area High School Sports Awards.
The softball player of the year will be chosen from the six finalists and revealed during the June 17 online presentation featuring some of sports biggest stars.
The Athens Area Sports Awards will recognize the best athletes in 34 categories, including players of the year in Athens most competitive sports, as well as overall Male and Female Athletes of the Year and premier awards.
Be sure to nominate your favorite team to win the Athens-area’s Top Team Fan Favorite Award.
This year’s softball nominees:
- Gabbie Deaton, Commerce — The senior led Commerce to a state runner-up finish, a 23-13-1 record and spotless record in 10 Region 8-A Public contests.
- Madi Gilllespie, Prince Avenue Christian — The junior helped lead the Wolverines to a 25-11 record and top-6 finish in the Class A Private playoffs.
- Camoreena Hart, Jefferson — The junior paced Jefferson to a 21-9 record that ended by pushing eventual state champion Heritage (Catoosa) to the brink in a three-game series in the second round of the Class 4A playoffs.
- Emily Hodnett, Apalachee — Hodnett’s 1.26 ERA led Apalachee to a top-4 finish in Class 5A and 28-8 record. The senior finished the season 20-6 and added a pair of saves. She also had a .379 average with 29 RBIs and three home runs.
- Carson Hobbs, Commerce — The junior helped lead Commerce to a state runner-up finish, a 23-13-1 record and an undefeated record in 10 Region 8-A Public contests.
- Ava Moon, Oconee County — The do-it-all sophomore helped the Warriors reach the Class 3A Final Four and a 17-12 record.